I provide substantive copyediting (line editing) and light copyediting to academic and trade presses and to scholars, journalists, students, and others contributing to public discourse in the social sciences. I’m rigorous about meeting deadlines, and I’ll polish the text so your expertise and your style and voice will shine.
I will review your manuscript, discuss your project with you, and give you a specific estimate. In most cases, I’ll also provide a free sample edit of about 500 words. This will demonstrate the level of editing I recommend and help you decide whether I’m a good fit for you.
Substantive Copyediting (Line Editing) [starting at $.03 per word]
In most cases, copyediting is provided after developmental editing has been completed, and it includes:
• Editing to ensure that grammar, spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and style are correct and conform to the style guide
• Revising for consistency in presentation of numbers, hyphenation, and abbreviations
• Fact-checking nonspecialized information (e.g. names and dates)
• Editing citations/footnotes and bibliography for consistency and conformity to style guide
• Checking charts, tables, and other graphics for clarity and consistency with the text
• Editing text for clarity and consistency
• Improving sentence structure, reducing wordiness, and strengthening the rhythm of the prose
• Ensuring that each paragraph flows smoothly and logically
• Checking for accuracy, precision, and variety in word choices
• Revising, where appropriate, to use active vs. passive voice
• Revising anything else that might distract readers from the text
Light Copyediting: You might need less intensive copyediting. After I’ve reviewed your manuscript, we’ll discuss your editorial needs and I’ll provide an estimate for your project.
Subjects I Edit Include:
Social and Economic Justice
Gender and Sexuality
Mental Health and Addiction
Government and Politics
For my editing experience, including relevant coursework, please click "About" on the site menu or see my LinkedIn profile.